Ha ha, I just realized, that I never followed up after Hurricane Irene, when the eye of the hurricane passed right over our own Antibabylon Daydream Hog Compound. The punchline a year or more late, is that even though it got hit by both sides of the eye of the hurricane as it passed directly over, sturdy construction and thoughtful planning, accompanied by a shitton of nails and liquid nails, and plenty of triangulation resulted in no damage whatsoever, as it was reported. It's been over 2 years since I've seen the place now, but from all reports, it was all good anyway.
As I feared, time has eaten away at the good communication I had with my liasons down there, Aaron and Walter. I hear from Walter now and again, but when I ask how the boat is, he acts as though I never asked the question. I reach Aaron to ask if he still has plans to build that septic tank, etc. for us, since I paid him for it. I realize he's busy, and we're not there, and there's no need yet. So he probably figures he's good for it, and he'll get around to it, so no rush. But I guess growing up thinking everyone was screwing each other over, or trying, or stealing everything, or letting each other down, or that everything was self interest based only, mercenary, or whatever, makes me always afraid people are going to let me down. Especially when they're thousands of miles away, been paid in advance, and I have no recourse, and I haven't been back to ask in person in 2 years. Anyway, no matter. I'll be back, and I'll ask, and either he'll come through, or he won't. And the boat is either okay or it's not. But either way, the place is going to get built. I suppose if you're reading this, and you know me, you can believe me that I'm pretty serious about this. Maybe I'll waver on that at some point, but so far, my intention is just as clear now as it was three or four years ago.
So you probably also know that we have another baby coming now, so that'll slow things down too. Or he, or she. And a second did, as did the first. But it doesn't change anything but the time frame. The goal is the same. Pike wasn't given Lutra as a middle name for nothing.
Anyway, here's the latest idea: we're having a baby this spring, we know that much. And we know there isn't much that's going to be going on after that for a little while, at least a year. So this is the plan: I get the rental houses up and running, make em earn some profit, get a reliable handyman situation going, and then get down there for a few weeks or a month and build those other 2 bedrooms on the guest building, get a better driveway in, a septic tank and toilet, outdoor shower, and grade the lot, or terrace it a bit, since it's so steep. And then get back home to chill out for a while, wait for baby, help the family along with new baby, and eventually, in a year or two or three, go down there with the money we save and start building the main building out of block, wood, or whatever. But hopefully, you'll be at least able to use it then, if you're so inclined.
Oh, and I happened to see a price tag on the lot across the street, the one that projects out in the water. 4.5 MILLION. Aren't we glad we got ours for a few grand? But who can put a price on a window to the ocean? One day, it's coming, I'll be working on it full time. And that day is delayed, but at the same time, it's coming closer all the time. Thanks for taking a minute to read this. Be well. Lots of love to all of you who are into this too.
-Jack
Saturday, June 30, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment