Blog Archive

WALTER BONAME, RIP. WISHING TON A SPEEDY AND FULL RECOVERY.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Back for the attack



Wow. Ruth and I stopped the truck/camper driving to Hammond where we're supposed to start work, and stopped for a sign that said "Louisiana Mud Painting." We figured that had to be something sweet. We had no idea it would be this- a guy that gets a few different colors of mud from around the state (in the next photo) and makes these incredible paintings. When we get paid, we're buying this one, or a print anyway. It comes in a frame, and I HIGHLY recommend you check him out. Really nice stuff, basically beautiful watercolors, but made all from Louisiana mud.








Gorgeous cedar near hammond.





These cops came in to where we watched the third presidential debate, where of course, McCain, when not outright lying, looked like a grimacing psychopath. Wow, talk about a poor performance. I can't wait until he loses so I can send him a video of me saying in my thickest New Orleans accent "Sorry bout cher luck!" Anyway, the significance of this photo is this:
These cops came in, apparently on duty, (four or five cars of them, as opposed to being out doing their job- like, if all the cops are at Zippy's Burrito, how can they be anywhere else, keeping everyone "safe" or hassling them to generate revenue to justify their own existence, or whatever their supposed reason for drawing breath is...) one appeared to me to be either drunk or someone who just acts drunk all the time, they hit on Ruth despite her ring while she ordered something, and continued despite her clear disinterest, and this one drunkish one made all these cracks that she's obviously drunk, etc., teasing her, like he's going to take her in, or whatever, etc. On the way out, he yells to her, as she sits with me "I'll see YOU later!" I yell back "Uh, No, you WON'T." Prick. Ruth yells "Go Obama," because he was obviously backward enough to be a McCain fan. Somehow, you could just tell that someone like Obama would be the bane of this guy's existence. He yells "you MUST be drunk!" (all very unprofessional, oddly aggressive, inappropriate, etc.) I said "you must be uneducated," but to Ruth only, to her approving chuckle. The cop gets in his car, and then over his P.A., the one that he uses to supposedly do his job, with our tax money he starts yelling "GO MCCAIN!" to which Ruth and I both immediately thrust both hands in the air, middle fingers extended. It was a reflex, instantaneous. He was suddenly silent, apparently livid. We could not have been more pleased that we had made the right decision to let this asshole know that he was not appreciated. Hurrah for us.

His friend came and stalked us for the rest of the time we were there, waiting, apparently, to see if we got in a vehicle, since we each had a beer while watching the debate. Just sitting there waiting to cherry pick us. ASSHOLES. Wow. It was not only edifying to find out that not only CAN you give a cop the finger with impunity, but it was incredibly gratifying to actually do it. There's been so many... If only he could pass it along to all the ones that got away... Oink. Like the SEVEN times I got pulled over one night, while on a date. Had my car searched like four times that night. For what reason, I'm not sure. Or the cops that gave us a ticket going to our honeymoon for going five over or whatever it was, or the ones that gave us a ticket that they refused to let us pay in Kalamazoo for being in the park after dark, doing nothing wrong. Oink, oink. Ah, that really felt good though. Th th th th th that's all, folks!




This is the shop of this cat I met named Daniel. An old dude who fixes tires for a living. He welded these walls out of old wheels. He helped me out twice, and each time tried to undercharge me hardcore. Nice guy. I told him I couldn't play ball with that.


Hey everybody. We're back. Back in New Orleans, more or less, back on the ol' bloggy. We have a ton to say, to chronicle some of our recent journeys- to Houston, to Mexico, to Louisiana.

We just saw "W," which was HORRIBLE. Oliver Stone apparently forgot to include how George Bush is considered the bin Laden's "other son," Dick Cheney's massive earnings from the Iraq war, the conniving it took to lie to the American people to get us there in the first place, basically pretending that his biggest fault is that he's a silverspoon drunk. Not bloody likely, Oliver. Faux concessions to appear "balanced," that this is a "warts 'n' all" portrayal, etc., which couldn't be farther from reality. I was thinking yesterday when I was in bookstore that probably had 1500 magazines and a ton of books, how most of those books and magazines were there not to make anyone any more educated, but rather to help reinforce and galvanize people's opinions that they already had, so that they don't have to consider the unpleasant possibility that they might be mistaken on some of their positions. Basically like Rush Limbaugh. Someone close to me attempted to rub my nose in the fact that Air America wasn't on any more, which it actually is, by saying that it's off because no one liked it. I counterppoint that by saying unlike the people that listen to Rush Limbaugh, the listeners of Air America don't have to constantly have it on to be told what they think, to be told daily that the Emperor is wearing clothes. Funny how we try to be deliberately misinformed. In any event, this movie totally fucking sucks. Sorry, but that had to be said. There's no way to say this with the necessary emphasis without swearing. It was as bad as Indiana Jones. Frilla.

I start work tomorrow,and have to get up in like 4 hours or something, so I'll be short tonight, and just say we'll be blogging again, so keep your eyeballs peeled.

Big love from me and Ruth. We'll be in touch, and we miss you.

We expect to be here between another week and a month, maybe two, tops. In the meantime, we'll blog, speak up about what we think, and flick off cops who get drunk and hit on married women while on duty.

XOX,
Jack

1 comment:

  1. No end to douchebaggery, it seems. Sorry you guys had to deal with those "officers of the law." And thanks for the heads-up on the film. I probably wasn't going to see it (no time, lately), but I've been digging the Talking Heads song on the trailer.

    We miss you guys.
    xoxo
    Becky & Tom (by proxy)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog