Welp, tomorrow is Mary Lee’s Birthday. The day after that is Ruth’s. Three days after that is David’s. Wish them happy birthdays, except David, who doesn’t need it, because he’s the luckiest guy in the world. Bless his sweet heart.
And Mary Lee’s.
And Ruth Anne’s.
Ruth and I are at the airport, waiting to split. We have to be here at 6 a.m. to leave at 7 (what’s up? Have these people been hanging out in the colonies? What happened to the 15 minute rule? Ah, Nassau, and its big city ways…) We’ve already had the truck drive by, shine the light in our faces, and demand what we’re doing here, which, we reply is the actual situation, they just drive away without another word. (What? Have these people been hanging out in the States…?) So, they locked up a bit ago, so we sit outside, but luckily on my walkabout I found the lounge unlocked, full of snack machines, dominoes, and even checkers… There were also new cardboard boxes nearby ready for the rubbish heap that I snatched, one which held bags of Doritos, and subsequently became my current footrest, and the other I tore apart and laid on the ground and took a nap on, while a certain person with an “R” in her name scoffed at it. She is now sleeping on it peacefully, I may add…
Luckily, there is some wind tonight, so the bugs are not too bad. I have some welts on my leg for over a week- two anyway, that just grow and grow, and more and more sore. Okay, not grow and grow. Just grow, singular. One grow, then itch. Then slightly more they’re a growin’.
Saw the doc today, who told me I have no allergies, and then told me I may be allergic to myself, a la the Cows song of the same name. Good song, by the way, lookit up. He told me the test is $490, and then can do nothing about it, so I hem, haw, swear, kvetch, and etc., and then he says he has another way. He draws about a strawful of blood, and tells me to come back in 90. I do, and he injects it into my arm. And another of saline or something as a control. Guess what? My skin gets all puffy. From my own blood only. Great. I thought of that as a joke, over the summer.
“I had my fun… I’m allergic, to myself. MYself!” As it goes. Good tune.
Anyhoo, he prescribes me 200 prednisone (how generous!), and tells me that I’ll most likely have this to the grave (wow, how timeless!), and gives me two refills. Ruth and I get our scripts filled, and they screw up and give her 7 renews (she should have had 3) and me four, but who’s counting. Maybe it’s just the Bahamian way.
So, now we’re in the airport, after drinking a beer on the beach, having dinner in a restaurant, and saving $130 on a hotel for 6 hours. Now I’m reading 1984 again, and I’ll tell you what, even 34 pages into it, it’s just about spot on. Especially for 1945 when it was written. I mean, can you imagine (here’s the political part of my thinking, time to hang up the phone) that even then, he was saying that people would do pretty much ANYTHING and believe ANYTHING if they were kept in the fear and in the dark? Just substitute a giant picture of Britney Spears for Big Brother, and it’s about right to the detail. I remember in 1984, after having read it, people came out and denounced it as being ridiculous because that year had in fact, not actually produced telescreens in everyone’s living rooms.
Or had they? Maybe the television is sufficient and the telescreen (with camera, but don’t worry, you can buy those soon!) is unnecessary when people are so dutifully wrapped up in the latest “Oops, I did it again”-ness of our idiotic media. So much so that even here, you can tell who listens to Bahamian or British news (they sound coherent/literate) and who listens to Fox or the equivalent (they are hysterical, and speak in circles).
Everyone said “see, 1984 DIDN’T happen,” etc. Yet, I’m posting this on the internet. Any idea how many pieces of software are watching this blog, and everything else online now? We had a cat we knew who worked for the U.S. government high up in the intel world, and as we talked of going to c-u- b- … awith and he had this to say: Don’t worry. It doesn’t matter. Large, small, relevant, irrelevant. They know where you are. Tbey are tracking us, and they are watching us.
Like the spy satellite they shot down yesterday. They’re tracking 3000 pieces of debris, as they fall back to earth. Any reason to think they can’t watch 3,000 boats around the evil island? Or scan for bad words in this blog? Anyway. 1984 is still wonderful for portraying hysteria, if not detail. Bless its acrid little heart. Good book. So lost on so many though, due to their projected values. I remember arguing in high school with my teachers, who made us read Animal Farm (I’d already read it, AHEM! [Just kidding, due to a voraciously literate older brother]), that was about more than the RUSSIAN revolution. They were near hysteria in their denials that it was ONLY about that revolution, and not about the hypocrisy of the powerful, and how all power systems are like chaos theory, destined for corruption. Certainly, the recent editing of the U.S. Constitution must have been a coincidence… Anyway, good stuff.
Sorry to any/all if this blog isn’t what you hoped it was/would be/apolitical, but unfortunately, we live political lives, in a politicized world, in what I perceive to be important times, where awareness is rare, and consciousness is a rare commodity, where even the “educated” are mostly well-rehearsed regurgitants… So forgive me for my endless commentary on our world. If it bugs you, I wouldn’t blame you, but it is our blog after all. You can always post yours, too. It’s a free country. Except online. Well, it is unless you write something objectionable. But you’re free to write things that are innocuous, and fit in with the greater population. Bad thoughts (ie: digressing ones), however are unfree, as we know they should be. You can always turn off your computer and turn on the T.V. Just don’t watch Fox. It’s the only network (though they’re all owned by enormous conflicted pro-war profiteers) that ACTIVELY and shamelessly promotes its political agenda, without even pretending to be other than an endless infomercial. If you disagree with this statement mildly, though, you haven’t seen it. If you disagree desperately, you watch it often. Whatever. Sorry for the politics.
Oh, screw it. Who am I kidding? No, I’m not. And to anyone not friend or family reading this blog, scanning for words like Cuba- GET BENT!
I love you all, gotta run.
Saturday, March 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment